Bilingual Education Lending Library for Kansas
The William Allen White Library at Emporia State University has generously provided space and staff for a lending library of ESOL and bilingual materials. They may be borrowed through Inter-Library Loan services at your school or public library, or by visiting the collection on 2nd Floor of White Library. At least 33 languages are represented in the collection. To search the collection on-line:
1) Go to the library's Web site at http://library.emporia.edu
2) Click on "Library Catalog" (this link will take you directly to the catalog, and a variety of options)
3) Click on "Advanced Search"
4) At the next screen, click on the drop-down menu by "Location" and click on ESOL Collection
5) In the "Any Field" search field, type the language of your choice (such as Chinese, or any other language)
That will then limit your search only to books in that language (or, books which mention that language in the title or table of contents) available in the ESOL Collection.
If that search does not work, you can call the Reference/Information Desk at our toll-free number, 1-877-613-7323.
Many of the resources appear to be dictionaries, but there are some storybooks and other content as well. For example, I found The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle in Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Japanese, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
Submitted by Phyllis Farrar, KSDE